PRESS RELEASE: Enhancing Election Integrity
- Divide specified costs between the State and the Local Boards;
- Increase transparency and oversight by requiring the State Board of Elections to vote on contracts greater than $50,000; and
- Establish a schedule of updates to voter registration databases.
- Increasing the number of Early Voting days;
- Expanding voting rights for unaffiliated voters;
- Standardizing methods for voters to correct errors on their ballot envelopes; and
- Allowing local boards to start processing ballots before Election Day.
“Campaigns may be divisive, but election administration should be nonpartisan. All Marylanders should be united in a commitment to fair, accurate, and inclusive elections,” said Sen. Kagan. “These bills would implement small but important changes that would result in the enhanced integrity of our elections.”
NOTE: While these bills are available online, there are significant amendments. Please do not hesitate to reach out to my office if you want to learn more.
# # # # #
Senator Kagan (D-District 17) is in her second term representing Gaithersburg and Rockville. She serves as the Vice Chair of the Education, Health, & Environmental Affairs Committee. Kagan has earned a reputation as an independent-minded legislator with a strong voice for her constituents on election reform, public safety, consumer protection, and more. Kagan is active on social media and can be found on Facebook at Sen. Cheryl Kagan, on Twitter at @CherylKagan, on Instagram at @CherylCKagan, and YouTube at Sen. Cheryl Kagan.