Amidst the Coronavirus pandemic, the 2021 Legislative Session was one for the history books. From Zoom hearings and empty halls to “telephone booths” separating legislators on the Senate floor and twice-weekly COVID tests, the strict regimen kept us healthy for all 90 days. I hope that you have been getting my weekly emails about my work in Annapolis.
As COVID continues to reshape virtually every facet of our lives, the General Assembly’s resources and staff have been drastically constrained. Despite the limitations, we passed historic and meaningful legislation to:
- Reform police practices;
- Fund our public schools;
- Provide telehealth services;
- Address persistent racial inequities;
- Bridge Maryland’s digital divide;
- Enhance government ethics and transparency;
- Expand voter access;
- Support our 9-1-1 Specialists;
- Fight climate change; and
- Help our nonprofits and small businesses.
I am deeply honored to represent you in the State Senate. Although the General Assembly has adjourned, my staff and I will continue to work diligently to serve the residents of Gaithersburg and Rockville. Please continue to stay in touch!
Cheryl C. Kagan
Maryland State Senator