Seeking a public policy job in a fast-paced environment? A progressive Maryland State Senator is hiring a staff member. The Senator is open to candidates with a variety of policy, research, political, and communications experience. A qualified candidate MUST have the following:
- Superior written and oral communication skills, including strong editing skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Basic familiarity with the legislative process;
- A passion for progressive politics;
- Experience with policy research;
- Facility with various platforms (e.g. Google Docs, Word, database management);
- The capacity to work both independently (including remotely)– and as a member of a team;
- Minimum of a four-year degree from an accredited college or university; and
- Creativity, good judgment, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
While not required, the following would be beneficial:
- Knowledge of Maryland and/or Montgomery County politics;
- Communications and social media experience;
- Website management skills;
- A background in casework and/or human services;
- The ability to speak a language other than English; and
- Interest in or knowledge of: elections, nonprofits, environmental policy, local government, consumer protection, public safety, and/or government transparency.
Duties will include:
- Providing legislative support to the Senator and Chief of Staff;
- Preparing testimony and talking points for hearings and other speaking engagements;
- Drafting blast emails, press releases, website content, and social media posts;
- Tracking issues specific to the legislator’s district and Committee assignment;
- Managing constituent casework and outreach;
- Professionally staffing the Senator at events in Annapolis and the legislative district;
- Strategically scheduling the Senator’s community engagements; and
- Assisting in planning special events.
The position is (very!) full-time during the legislative session (January-April) and can be either part- or full-time during the remainder of the year. Telework options are available outside of the legislative session.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter that describes your skills, interests, salary expectation, and availability in one PDF document. It should be titled with your full name and sent to email@example.com. Women, minorities, and bilingual applicants are especially encouraged to apply. Interviews will begin immediately.
(Posted September 1, 2022)