Applications for the Fall Semester scholarship are now closed;
check back for Spring Semester applications later this year.
In order to be eligible for a Senatorial Scholarship, you must have completed the 2023-24 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) through the U.S. Department of Education. General information on Senatorial Scholarships is available on the Maryland Higher Education Commission’s website.
Sen. Kagan’s Senatorial Scholarships are awarded based on both need and merit. They can be used at any Maryland higher education institution (with a few exceptions). The Scholarship Committee, comprised of volunteers who live and/or work in Rockville or Gaithersburg, gives preference to candidates who:
- Submit thoughtful, well-written essays;
- Demonstrate academic rigor, despite financial challenges;
- Perform volunteer service in the community for any organization;
- Attend Montgomery College or the University of Maryland System at the Universities at Shady Grove; and
- Have a verifiable history of voting (any party, any candidate), if eligible.
If you have any questions about your application, please contact my office at Cheryl.Kagan@Senate.State.md.us using the subject line SCHOLARSHIPS.